Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A ShavedGolf Farewell

The creative process is time consuming and the rewards for production are often minimal. Creativity and creation are commonly rewarded best through personal satisfaction - this satisfaction comes from the knowledge that your creation is beautiful, masterfully crafted and is bringing joy or usefulness to the world.

I no longer feel that personal satisfaction from my blog.

The creative process behind blogging is no less demanding of time. Blogging requires a tremendous amount of effort, dedication and passion. Because my passion has waned, the product has suffered. Because the product has suffered, I feel less satisfaction. Because I feel less satisfaction, the last thread of reward for my efforts is a laugh from coworkers or a Facebook like from friends.

I've decided these nods of approval are an insufficient reward and do not justify continuation of a tired blog.

As I mentioned, I believe the lack of passion impacts the product. The content I produce on a weekly basis feels rushed and I consistently find myself publishing for the sake of claiming I did so on a Wednesday. The passion is gone and the result feels like half-assed entries that barely limp across the finish line.

Time is precious. With my schedule packed and responsibilities ever increasing it has become apparent that something must give. There are so many other creative avenues to explore. Art projects. Short stories. Fiction writing. Novels. Programming. There are so many personal accomplishments left to achieve. Volunteer opportunities. Relationship development. Athletic endeavors such as a marathon or an Ironman Triathlon. Career aspirations. Home ownership. Starting a family.

The blog aids none of these goals and manages to hinder most of them.

At the point where I find the blog to be a roadblock. At the point where I find the process no longer bringing joy and instead becomes a chore. At the point where the content feels like forced dribble. At the point where I could be spending my time on so many other wonderful endeavors. At the point where I pour myself into a project to receive nothing in return. Well that's the point where the project must end. And obviously I find myself at that point.

Perhaps this isn't an end, but rather a new beginning. When a topic stirs passion, given enough time, perhaps a polished post will grace the page once again. But don't expect it and don't come looking for it. I'll come to you.

I've spoken of the blog's demise once before, written a farewell and fooled many people. This time it's with a heavier heart and no hidden gotcha. The end has come. Thanks for being my audience over the last 85 weeks. Your praise always meant so much. Thank you.

The End

xoxo,
ShavedGolf

1 comment: