Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I understand, correct?

Forgive me for sounding like a geezer telling the neighbor-kids to get off his lawn, but I've got a gripe with a catchall phrase that has gained increased traction in social settings.  I know, right?!

Admittedly, Scott Simon of NPR fame and his story It's Rude! It's Crude! It's Stupid! Just Sayin' brought out my inner senior citizen and called attention to the phrase "just sayin'" which has thrashed into the every day vernacular.  Simon's piece takes issue with the phrase "just sayin'" because it provides the user an escape route after delivering a stinging comment.  Much like Simon's pet peeve phrase, "I know, right?" has become prevalent in today's language and used indiscriminately.

Urban Dictionary has entries explaining that the phrase is used as an affirmation to a previously stated idea - in essence agreeing with a thought and claiming to have had the same.  Example...
Coworker 1: "Damn printer crapped out again...that thing always breaks down."
Coworker 2: "I know, right?!"
Concurrence could simply come in the form of "yes," or "agreed," or "correct."  It's not as if you can rework the phrase to disagree - "I don't know, wrong?!"

If you ever mutter this phrase in retort, please, for the sake of the English language, give yourself a ten second timeout, and think hard about what you have done.  The quip is in the form of a question - this isn't Jeopardy nor are you a student of Socrates.  Propagation of valley girl language ala Laguna Beach or The Hills is as unbecoming in reality TV as it is in real life.  Overuse has led the phrase to reach trite status - as unoriginal as saying "can you hear me now?" when your cell phone cuts out.

As Simon ends his article, so too shall I in saying that I'm all for the evolution of the English language.  Lamenting the addition of words and phrases does not keep me up at night.  But I draw the line at the addition of words and phrases born into flaccid purposelessness and commonplace.  More than likely, if you utter the cringe-inducing phrase to me I won't call you out on it, but know that I'm judging you harshly for being a moronic drone, spreading over-worn verbage...but hey...just sayin'.

Follow Scott Simon on his twitter: @nprscottsimon

xoxo,
ShavedGolf

1 comment:

  1. Ha! So much of today's slang is distressing, including my new nemisis, hella. By the way, this is quite well written for a blog.

    ReplyDelete