Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Best Butler Toast


The Best Butler role is a time-honored position dating back to ancient Greece. Terminology coined as a play on words: a Maid of Honor is the indentured servant of the bride while a man-servant, or butler, serves the groom.

In weddings where the Best Butler is called upon, the Best Man generally serves as a figurehead. Duties such as the bachelor party, tuxedo fires, and making it rain may transfer from Best Man to Best Butler. Truly, the Best Butler is there to be the man behind the Best Man behind the groom. A well respected three-way.

This past weekend popped my Best Butler cherry as I serviced one of my Best Friends and helped him marry his lady. After 24 hours of brainstorming, 12 hours of memorization, 6 shots of Crown Royal, and 3 beers, my toast went a little something like this...

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. My name's ShavedGolf, and for those of you who don't know me, I went to university with the bride and groom. I also happen to be the groom's Best Butler, which the bride assures me is a title of endearment. I'll keep this brief because no one wants to hear the Best Butler ramble.

To start this toast off right, I need to address all the ladies in the audience: yes, it's true, I am single. However, I can speak from experience of being in a committed relationship, the one question guaranteed to get to the guy: when are you getting married?!!

The groom has fielded that question for as long as I've known him...and maybe longer.

Now...I'm not saying this to call people out because I'm as guilty as anyone else. I too went to the groom, maybe a couple times, to ask, "Hey man, so...what's the game plan? I just wanna know what I can expect. What sort of timeline are we thinking here?"

The groom's answer was short and probably well rehearsed, "ShavedGolf," he said, "we'll get married when we're ready."

Obviously that day has come as we celebrate tonight the commitment these two best friends have made to one another. I'm honored to be a part of this ceremony and I couldn't be happier for both of you.

So here's a toast, to two of my best friends, who took their time, did things their way and did things the right way by them.

To the bride and groom!


xoxo,
ShavedGolf

1 comment: