Wednesday, March 21, 2012

StoryTime Says Goodbye

Death comes for us all. Even blogs. Bloggers always fear the end. The end of their blog. The hobby that's kept you busy night after night. The writing carefully crafted into a unique piece of art. The words that you hope will entertain friends, loved ones, and the world.

Late last week, ShavedGolf was contacted by the Federal Communications Commission. The FCC email was an obvious template. Poorly written, too...I would know, I'm a blogger. The stock email was to inform me of multiple complaints lodged against this blog for crude humor, foul language, and offensive bigotry against Portland hipsters.

While the email stopped short of being a complete cease-and-desist, it did recommend a change of tone and a new direction for my weekly writings in the interest of avoiding civil suits. This is all paraphrased with sprinkles of assumption, but suffice it to say, the email was enough to give pause.

My creation. My thought. My writing. My art. Despite it's popularity on the web (with well over 11,000 hits in just over a year) had caused enough people anguish that they felt it necessary to contact the FCC. Simply shocking and, frankly, hurtful.

StoryTime for me isn't just some afterthought. The blog is more than just a side project. The weekly postings have quickly become my number one hobby. While it's understandable that it won't be entertaining for all audiences, it's extremely saddening to hear that my content has risen to the point where the federal government is now reaching out to me. Even worse to think that I've disappointed and/or disgraced those that I care most about, my faithful audience.

Unfortunately, after discussing my options with friends, family and my attorney, I've decided this will be my last post. In the face of civil action, I blinked. Some may see this as cowardice, but, simply put, I'm trying to do what's best for my future.

To the StoryTime faithful, a heartfelt thank you for sticking with me. Week after week. Post after post. It's been a privilege and an honor to fill your monitors and mobile devices on a regular basis.

To the handful of individuals that I've offended, truly, I'm sorry. Never once did I maliciously write something with the intent of causing grief. My goal was never to hurt. I'm sorry I let you down.

With that, I'm off to new things, bigger adventures, and a lot more free time on my hands. We've had a good run, but I'm sure you'll fill your 5 minutes every Wednesday night with something infinitely better. Best wishes to all. Cheers.

xoxo,
ShavedGolf





































Just kidding, fuckers! See you back here next week.

2 comments: